The Nebraska Recycling Council has grant funds of up to $15,000 for the purchase of recycling equipment. Funding for these grants is provided by the Nebraska Environmental Trust. The Trust is funded by proceeds from the Nebraska Lottery and has awarded more than $265 million to conservation projects in Nebraska since 1994.
Who Can Apply
Any Nebraska organization, including schools, municipalities and other government entities, nonprofit organizations and recycling companies is eligible. Examples of recycling companies are those that collect, process and/or ship recycling; waste haulers with recycling routes, or starting or expanding recycling services.
- Read the “Grant Guidelines” and the information needed to complete the grant application below.
- Call the Nebraska Recycling Council to first discuss your plans, Megan Jackson at (402)436-2384 ext 1004.
Recycling Equipment Grant Guidelines
Requirements and Limitations
- The deadline for submission of grants is the 15th of each month.
- Up to $15,000 in equipment can be funded over a two-year period.
- NRC reserves the right to limit simultaneous or overlapping grant requests from an organization’s subsidiaries, divisions, branches, etc.
- Equipment purchased before grant approval is not eligible for funding.
- Providing false or misleading information will disqualify the application.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years in business to be eligible.
A Grants Committee will review all applications received by the 15th of each month. More information may be requested of the applicant during the review, including one or two years of financial statements. Once approved by the Committee, a request for approval is sent to the Nebraska Environmental Trust. Upon their approval, the applicant will be notified and required to submit to NRC all completed grant reporting forms, agreements and contracts before being reimbursed for the purchase. (See grant reporting forms below.)
Applications will be evaluated on the following merits:
- provides more public benefit than organizational or corporate gain;
- includes clear environmental benefits;
- makes a real contribution to recycling collection or processing;
- is technically and financially feasible;
- has been thoroughly researched and planned, NOT just an idea;
- will be installed and utilized promptly after funds are received.
Examples of Equipment Eligible for Grant Funds
- Forklifts, skid loaders, balers, recycling trailers, recycling carts, indoor and outdoor recycling bins, cargo trailers, semi-trailers, lift-gates, can crushers, dumpsters, trucks, portable loading ramps, approved recycling labels and more.
- A fabric structure (rated highly to withstand straight-winds and hail) is fundable if additional storage is needed for recyclables.
- Equipment may be new, used, or in need of refurbishing. In some cases, applicant’s existing equipment can be refurbished or rebuilt with grant funds.
Find a list of equipment sellers on our Recycling Equipment page.
Find a list of container sellers or manufacturers on our Container Companies page.
Cash Match Requirement
A cash match is required from all grantees. In general, these minimum match amounts are required:
- 20% Nonprofit organizations
- 20% Communities with populations of 5,000 or under
- 25% Communities with populations of 5,000 to 10,000
- 30% Communities with populations of 10,000 and above
- 50% For-profit businesses
In some cases, in-kind contributions of labor, volunteers’ time, materials or other relevant contributions can be substituted for cash; however, “using” or “maintaining” the equipment is not a suitable in-kind contribution. It must be related to the purchase of the equipment. In-kind contributions are not required, but can supplement/enhance applicant’s cash contribution.
Instructions for Completing Grant Forms & Application
The application and forms are writable PDFs. Download the files, and open with Adobe Acrobat Reader (free software available from http://www.adobe.com) to complete. Save the files under a new name on your desktop. Note: do not open the files as a new tab/window and work in them on an internet browser; the forms do not save new information entered this way.
If You Receive an Equipment Grant
- Grant recipients are required to use the grant equipment for recycling.
- Equipment must not be sold, leased, traded-in, rented or given to another party without permission from Nebraska Environmental Trust.
- Grant recipients are required to provide 24 months of recycling data (pounds recycled) after obtaining the grant equipment, showing the recycling impact the equipment has made in the grant recipient’s community or business.
Grant Reporting Forms
Instructions for Grantees
NRC Agreement to Comply
Periodic Report Cover Sheet & Instructions
Summary of Invoices Form
Equipment Bid and Purchases Report
Report on Matching and In-Kind
Recycling Data Report Form